Call Us Today! 865.951.2975

2260 Sutherland Avenue
Knoxville, TN 37919

Fax: 865.951.2972


There are 200,000 ACL injuries every year – don’t be a statistic

Over the course of a year there are more than 200,000 cases of ACL knee injuries, and 100,000 of these knees get reconstructed annually. Sometimes these painful injuries are avoidable with the practice and use of correct form and continuous strengthening of muscles. However, some are totally unavoidable no matter how much you try to prevent them. Let’s take a deeper look into these all too common injuries, how they affect people, and what methods you can use to prevent them from happening to you. How an ACL injury happens: When you have an ACL injury this means that an anterior cruciate ligament, usually used in keeping your knee stable, has been torn. These tears range from mild, a small tear, to severe, when the ligament completely tears or when the ligament and part of the bone are separated from the rest of the bone. This can sneakily happen over the course of time, or in a really sudden and painful moment. Sports Most ACL injuries happen while playing agility sports, the most reported being football, soccer, skiing, and basketball. These career halting knee injuries are sidelining athletes at an alarming rate, and some are never able to play to their fullest ability after recovering. 70% of these are from non-contact, like when an athlete slows down, changes direction, or lands after jumping. The remaining 30% occur from direct contact, such as taking a direct hit to the knee during a football game. Athletes commonly describe hearing a “pop” when the injury happens. This type of injury is most prevalent in people 15-45 years of age because of their more active lifestyle and higher participation in sports. Long term effects for high school athletes & college players There is a large number of high school and college student athletes whose careers in sports are affected by an ACL injury. For those who have a very seriously torn ACL, this may mean their career in sports is shelved. This is because a torn ACL can stop an athlete from playing for 6-12 months, often in the most vital part of the season if they are high school athletes hoping to get a college scholarship by playing in the college athletics program. For college athletes, they may end up losing their scholarships if they get injured during the season, and are not able to play again. Some end up having to...
read more

How to reduce your chances for an ACL injury

ACL injuries are every athlete’s nightmare. No one wants to get sidelined with this type of injury, however, it’s one of the most common among young athletes. So what can you do to prevent yourself from getting benched? Here are some tips to make sure you take care of your knees properly. Learn to Move When we were babies, so much of our time was dedicated to learning how to move, how to balance our bodies to stand up and explore. Years later, this still holds to be true when we need to learn to move our bodies in a way that we are protecting the valuable assets that allow us to move so freely. It is very important to develop a good sense of body awareness, strength, and balance to correctly support your knees and ankles. To prevent ACL injuries it is vital to learn how to move with correct alignment to protect your knees. Make sure to always move, jump, land, and stop with your knees directly over your feet. Never allow your knees to collapse inward. To be sure your legs are able to support all of the parts that make them up, it is very important to develop strength in your hips and thighs. If you practice sports, always be sure to warm up and stretch before games and practice. You could come up with a routine that includes a variety of drills that practice the common movements you make when playing, practice these until their movements become second nature. If you are part of a sports team, and are very active throughout a certain season of the year, make sure that you do not wait to get in shape when the season starts. By starting your training prior to the season you will ensure you are doing everything you can to reduce your change of a sports injury on the field. Remember, get fit to play; don’t play to get fit! Sportsmetrics is a method that uses both neuromuscular retraining techniques and sport-specific enhancement sets to significantly improve the skill of the player and their aerobic fitness. This method is specifically concentrated on decreasing the risk of injury to your knees.  When an athlete completes our Sportsmetrics training their risk for ACL injury is significantly decreased.   Here are three great basic principles to follow in order to strengthen your body to reduce the chance of...
read more